When we first saw this cake we thought it looked too good to eat. Then we ate it and it tasted too good to not keep eating. Spongy, moist and apple-y (is that a word?) is the best way to describe it.
Our friend Yamina brought it over for dessert one night and we just had to ask for the recipe and share it with you. So get baking if you’ve got some apples at hand.
2 large apples (for the topping)
1 cup of sugar
½ cup of oil
½ cup of milk
1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
3 tablespoons of custard powder
5 tablespoons of cornflour
14 tablespoons of plain flour (1 cup)
2 teaspoons of baking powder
- Grease a 26cm baking pan
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees fan forced
- Prepare the apples for topping by peeling them. Cut into quarters, remove the core and slice thinly.
- Blend the eggs, oil, milk, sugar and vanilla for three minutes. Add the flour, cornflour, custard powder and baking powder and mix well.
- Transfer the mixture into the baking pan. Arrange the apple slices on the top of the cake mixture.
- Bake for about 30 to 45 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through.