You show me one person who doesn’t love a good risotto and I will…okay I won’t do anything other than promise you that this version will convert them!
In this recipe I have used frozen mixed vegetables with some fresh mushrooms, but you can use any kind of vegetable in your fridge.
• 1 onion chopped
• 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
• A handful of diced fresh mushrooms
• 2 cups arborio rice
• 30g butter
• 4 cups hot vegetable stock
• 1/2 cup parmesan cheese grated
• 1 tsp lemon or lime zest
• 1 pinch salt and pepper
1. Heat butter in pan over medium heat and add onion. Cook for about three minutes or until onions are translucent.
2. Add frozen vegetables and mushrooms and cook for about four minutes.
3. Add rice and stir for several minutes until the rice is transparent.
4. Slowly add in one cup of stock and keep stirring the rice for about five minutes.
5. Add one more cup of stock as you stir and cook for another five minutes. Add the remaining two cups of stock and cook in a similar way. Make sure the pot isn’t dry. Add a bit of water if necessary.
6. The risotto should be ready now after about 20 minutes of cooking. Taste the rice and if it is tender outside but still has a little resistance inside then you know the risotto is cooked nicely and al dente.
7. Stir in the salt, pepper and parmesan cheese.
8. Serve on a plate and sprinkle some more parmesan cheese.