This salad is a complete meal in itself. It has protein galore in the shape of tofu and beans, iron-rich spinach and the sweet potato provides you with good carbs. Spices and herbs such as paprika, garlic, ginger, cumin, chilli and mint add a wonderful punch of flavour. This easy to make healthy salad can be on your table in 20 minutes. So get cooking! If you’ve read this far then you should keep in touch! Like The Somali Kitchen on Facebook. Add me to your Google+ circle, follow on Twitter, like on Instagram or pin on Pinterest.
Tofu, Sweet Potato, Red Kidney Bean and Spinach Salad
400g boiled red kidney beans (or canned beans)
2 small orange sweet potatoes
375g firm tofu
A handful of mixed nuts
½ cup fresh mint leaves
2 cups (120g) baby spinach leaves
1 teaspoon lemon zest
Juice of one lemon
¼ cup olive oil
1 teaspoon minced ginger
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons ground paprika
3 tomatoes, diced into small cubes
3 fresh green or red chillies, diced
4 teaspoons sesame seeds, lightly roasted
Pinch or two of salt
- Dice the sweet potatoes into small cubes. Coat with a little oil and roast in a medium heat oven for about 10 minutes or until cooked through. Keep aside when cooked.
- Cube the tofu in to small squares. Coat with a little oil and grill for about 10 minutes or until it turns a light brown. Keep aside when cooked.
- Wash the baby spinach and mint and dry.
- Grate the lemon for the zest and juice the lemon.
- Dice the tomatoes and chillies.
- Thoroughly mix all the ingredients with the sesame seeds and spices.