This is a nice and healthy dish that I am sure you will enjoy. The combination of spinach and chickpeas gives you a meal that’s low GI and low fat. They also contain significant amounts of minerals and vitamins that are good for you – calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium, folate, vitamins E and B6 to mention a few. Plus they are cheap and easy to cook. Do you need any more reasons to try out this recipe?
This dish goes nicely with muufo bread, pita or sabayaad bread.
Spinach with Chickpeas
200g chickpeas (soaked overnight and boiled. Canned chickpeas are great too)
1 tablespoon of oil
1 onion chopped finely
3 tomatoes, diced
4 cups chopped spinach (or frozen spinach)
2 cloves of minced garlic
2 green chillies diced finely
1 tablespoon of curry powder
Salt to taste
1 tablespoon chopped coriander or chives
1. Fry the onions in hot oil, until golden brown.
2. Add the tomatoes, garlic and chillies and cook for about 5 minutes.
3. Add the spices, stir and cook for 2 minutes.
4. Add the spinach, stir and cook for 5 minutes.
5. Add the chickpeas and cook for a further 3 minutes.
6. Serve and garnish with the chopped coriander or chives.