I love anything with cardamom and fruit so this combination seemed like a match made in a heaven. What I didn’t anticipate was how the mix of buttery caramel, spice and sugar would turn me into an addict! Since my first attempt I have made this cake four times in as many weeks.
Pear and Cardamom Cake
2 ripe pears, thinly sliced
¾ cup brown sugar
¾ cup white sugar
¾ cup butter, room temperature, divide into two portions
½ teaspoon ground cardamom
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large or 3 small eggs
Pinch of salt
1 ½ cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ cup milk
1. Heat the oven to 180 degrees C (350 degrees F)
2. Butter a 9 inch round spring cake pan
3. Sift the flour, salt, baking powder and cardamom and set aside.
4. Melt one portion of the butter in a pan. Add the brown sugar and stir until the sugar has melted. Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin and ensure it spreads to cover the bottom evenly.
5. Arrange the pear slices in a circular shape around the pan and finish with any remaining slices in the centre
6. Mix the remaining butter and white sugar and beat until creamy. Adds the eggs and vanilla and whisk for a couple of minutes. Add in the flour and milk and combine gently.
7. Spoon the batter over the pears in the cake tin and smooth over.
8. Bake for about 40 minutes or until the cake is cooked through.
9. Cool and gently turn the cake onto a plate.
10. Serve plain or with cream.