My favourite ingredients—mushroom, onions and cheese—put together in a beautifully light pastry shell is just magic. And the pastry wasn’t as challenging to make as I thought it would be. Enjoy!
This recipe was adapted from The Cooking Foodie but I used mozzarella cheese instead of gruyere.
Mushroom, Onion and Cheese Quiche
2 ¼ cups flour
1 tsp salt
170g cold butter, cubed
4-6 tablespoons cold water
One red onion, chopped
250g sliced mushrooms
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
Handful of baby spinach leaves
100g mozzarella cheese, grated
3 eggs, well beaten
1 cup thickened cream
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
Making the pastry
1. Process all the ingredients until crumbs form.
2. Add 4-6 tablespoons cold water until you have a firm, smooth dough.
3. Flatten into a disc and cover with some cling wrap. Store in the fridge for 30 minutes.
4. Flour the pastry and roll into circle and place in a tart tin. Prick the base with a fork and freeze for 30 minutes.
5. Remove the pastry from freezer and blind bake for 15 minutes at 180 C. Remove the weights and bake for another 10 to 15 minutes until golden brown.
Preparing the filling and baking
1. Fry onion in the oil and butter for 4-5 minutes
2. Add garlic and mushrooms and cook for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and cool.
3. Add the eggs, cheese, cream, salt, pepper and nutmeg and mix well.
4. Pour the mixture over the pastry shell and bake for 30 minutes at 180C or until set. Cool and serve with a salad.