Pancakes and berries with cream is such an indulgent breakfast and one that I like to enjoy occasionally and not just for breakfast! I have spiced this recipe up with the addition of cardamom, which adds a wonderful scent and flavour.
This pancake recipe is different from the typical Somali malawax in that the mixture is thicker and the pancakes are fluffier.
Malawax Hayl iyo Miracas (Cardamom Pancakes with Berries)
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 ½ tablespoon sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon butter melted
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom (optional or use 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence)
Ingredients for the berry compote
- 1 cup mixed berries
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ cup water
- Beat egg and sugar well, add half the milk and mix well use an electric beater
- Gradually spoon in flour, salt, and the rest of milk
- Add melted butter and lastly, add baking powder. Let the mixture stand for a few minutes.
- Heat a frying pan and when hot pour a ladleful of the mixture. Spread quickly in a circular motion into a rounded shape. Cook until brown. Flip and cook the other side. Repeat until all the mixture is cooked.
Instructions for making the berry compote
- Boil the berries and sugar over medium heat for about five minutes. Stir occasionally and cook until the fruit is soft and mushy.
- Allow the compote to cool. Pour over the pancake and serve with whipped cream.