This nutritious salad with its nutty and earthy taste is not only filling, but looks pretty good on the plate. I also love the fact that something so delicious can also be healthy.
There is so much more to like about this wonderful legume. Did you know that lentils lower cholesterol? This is because they have high levels of soluble fiber, which help to keep the arteries clean. Lentils are also a great source of folate and magnesium, which are good for heart health.
Lentil and Sweet Potato Salad with Yoghurt and Tahini
2 medium sized sweet potatoes, cut into round discs of about 1 cm thickness
200g cherry tomatoes, cut into halves
800g cooked lentils (or two 400g tinned lentils. I prefer brown lentils)
120g rocket salad leaves
1 diced capsicum (I like to use half a red and half a green capsicum for the colour effect)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon ground cumin
20g chopped coriander leaves
½ teaspoon salt
Yoghurt and tahini dressing
Juice of one lemon
1 tablespoon tahini
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons thick yoghurt
Pinch of sugar and salt
1 red onion, cut into rings
1. Coat the sweet potato in olive oil and roast for about 10 minutes on medium heat or until cooked through
2. Prepare the dressing by mixing all the lemon juice, onion, garlic, salt and sugar together and rest for about 5 minutes. This takes away the bite from the raw onion. Add in the yoghurt and tahini and mix into a smooth paste.
3. Mix the lentils, tomatoes, rocket salad leaves, capsicum, tomatoes coriander leaves, spices and salt together.
4. Spread the yoghurt and tahini dressing on a large serving plate.
5. Start arranging the salad in layers, starting with placing the roasted sweet potato discs on top of the dressing. Pile the rest of the salad ingredients on top of the sweet potatoes.
6. Serve with some good bread.