Braised goat meat is a Somali favourite. I learnt how to cook goat meat in this fashion from my mother and grandmother. Thanks to them the result is always tender, melt off the bone meat.
Hilib Ari Isku Duug (Braised Goat in Spices and Tomato)
1.5kg goat shoulder, cut into small chunks
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, diced finely
2 tablespoons tomato paste
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander seeds
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
375 ml (1.5 cups) water
Salt to taste
1. Cook the meat, onion, garlic, salt and water in a covered large saucepan over low heat for about an hour. The water will have almost evaporated by this time. If the goat meat is mature you will need to add a bit more water to tenderise it.
2. Add the spices and tomato paste and cook for about ten minutes until thoroughly absorbed.
3. Serve with rice, any kind of bread or a salad.
• Never cook goat meat continuously on high heat as that will toughen the meat. Goat meat is best cooked slowly on low heat.
• Mature goat requires more water to tenderise and will take longer to cook while young goat cooks more quickly.