This is a wonderfully earthy salad—filling and nutritious. The flavour combinations are unexpected but work beautifully together.
I love the deliciously nutty flavour of lentils, enhanced with the addition of walnuts. The cumin adds a hint of spicy warmth and the lemon and sesame oil add a zing to the salad.
Cumin and Walnut Lentil Salad
400g tin of cooked brown lentils
1 large onion, diced
50g chopped walnuts
1 teaspoon ground cumin
150g, cherry tomatoes, cut in half
50g chopped fresh coriander
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt to taste
1 tablespoon sesame oil
Pinch or two of ground black pepper
Juice of half a lemon
1 tablespoon white vinegar
Pinch of salt
1. Fry the onion in the olive oil until soft
2. Add garlic and cook for one minute
3. Add cumin and lentils and cook for about 5 minutes on low heat and remove from the stove.
4. Mix the sesame oil, ground black pepper, lemon juice, white vinegar and salt and add to the lentils and mix through.
5. Add the walnuts and chopped fresh coriander and mix through.