I love chickpeas and these savoury pancakes are another way to share my love for this versatile vegetable. Plus they are vegan and gluten free.
In this recipe I have used turmeric and chilli, but really you can add any spice mix you like. You can also go Asian by using garlic, chilli and spring onions or Italian by adding basil and diced tomatoes. Innovate and have fun with this recipe!
Thanks to Zuli Farah, my lovely sister-in-law and sister Ismahan who provided inspiration for this recipe!
Chickpea Pancakes with Turmeric, Chilli and Cumin
1 cup chickpea flour (garbanzo flour).
1 cup water
½ teaspoon cumin seeds
¼ teaspoon chilli powder or flakes
½ teaspoon turmeric
½ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon olive or coconut oil
Some extra oil in case your batter sticks to the pan. I usually don’t need any more oil.
This recipe makes about six smallish pancakes. To make more simply double the ingredients.
1. Toast the cumin seeds and mix all the dry ingredients
2. Add water slowly and blend or whisk until you get a smooth, pancake consistency batter
3. Heat a frying pan or griddle on medium heat
4. Pour about a quarter of a cup on the pan and spread.
5. Cook for about three minutes and flip and cook for another two to three minutes.
6. Keep cooking until the batter is used up. You should have about four to six pancakes.
7. Serve with a salad or use instead of bread to soak up your stews or curries. The pancake also makes a great pizza base.