Turn over a new leaf with this delicious cabbage curry. Well, I did! I tried something different by incorporating two flavours that I normally don’t use—Kashmiri chilli and toasted sesame seeds.
The addition of spices such as cumin, turmeric, ginger and garlic add a wonderful depth of flavour, but what really took this dish to another level were the Kashmiri chillies and the toasted sesame seeds. Kashmiri chillies are usually bought dried. They are a bright red in colour, are very mild in heat and have an almost fruity, smoky taste.
Cabbage with Kashmiri Chilli and Sesame Seeds
500g finely diced cabbage
1 large onion, diced
2 tbsp sesame seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp grated ginger
1 tsp minced garlic
½ turmeric powder
½ red chilli flakes or powder
6 Kashmiri chillies (you can use ground paprika as a substitute)
2 tbsp of olive oil or ghee
Salt to taste
1. Dry fry the sesame and cumin seeds for about a minute or until you get a good aroma. Take them off the heat and keep aside.
2. Heat up the oil and saute the onions until translucent.
3. Add the ginger, garlic, turmeric, salt, Kashmiri chilli and chilli flakes and cook for a minute.
4. Add the sesame seeds, cumin seeds and cabbage and mix thoroughly.
5. Cover and cook for about five minutes or until the cabbage is well cooked.