This colourful pineapple and saffron rice goes beautifully with a hot curry. My mother knows how much I love this dish and kindly shared the recipe. You can add raisins, sultanas and cashew nuts to add crunch and sweetness.
Bariis Sacafran iyo Cananas (Pineapple and Saffron Rice)
• 1 ¼ cup basmati rice, washed and soaked for 20 minutes
• 1 tablespoon sugar
• 2 tablespoons butter
• 25g sultanas or raisins (optional)
• 100g pineapple, cut into small cubes
• ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
• Pinch of saffron
• Pinch of salt
• 2 ½ cups water
1. Bring the water to a boil.
2. Place the rice and pinch of saffron and salt in the boiling water
3. Add the pineapple, butter, cardamom and sugar
4. Cover the pot and cook on low heat until the rice has absorbed all the water. This should take about 20 minutes or until all the water is fully absorbed and the rice looks fluffy.
5. Remove the rice from the pot and serve with any kind of curry.